Monday 26 November 2012

Yes, Virginia There Is A Santa Claus....dont let others dash your childs dreams away you be the judge.








A few weeks ago I listened to a friend who told the story of her little girl who came home from school in tears because another child had told her that Santa wasn't real. I will tell you that my friend was devastated, and wondered how much of her little girls disappointment was the classmates fault or how much responsibility for the heartbreak could she herself account for.

"Now what?" she asked. Did she tell her disillusioned child the  truth, did she lie, and hadn't she already lied to her children when she told them every year to be good because Santa was watching.

I have given this quite some thought and as always I will give you my opinion as I gave it to my friend. There are so many things to say regarding this, yes, we do break our children's trust when we openly lie to them only to reveal the truth later. Yes, there is a Jesus and Christmas for Christian families should be about the birth of Christ and not a man in a red suit.  Are mothers and fathers  at  the pinnacle  of  this lie absolutely, we falter, and stumble around the house in our dischevelled state the night before to place the gifts we stood in long line ups to buy under the tree like a thief in the night.But as I see it, we have not invented another wheel, our generation will not be the first or the last to at some point disappoint our children. This is what I told my friend. children have their whole lives to feel the bitter sting of the cruel world, why do we need to take their rainbows and dreams away so quickly.
here are a few things you may say to your children;

1. Jesus is our true gift and in the story of the bible the wise men did bring Jesus gifts.
2. Mommies and Daddy's have the true spirit of Christmas in their hearts they want to share it by leaving their children gifts of love.
3. We    should tell our children that we all have the spirit of Christmas in our hearts and that gift-giving-and receiving does not always have to come from the man in the suit.
4. Children clearly see at least 50 Santa dressed men in the month of December, clearly they may start to ask questions...... You might point out how their are so many people involved in the spirit of giving.
5. be gentle, whats wrong with a child believing in the wonder..... I say the "wonder" of Christmas not just the red suit.
6. When friends tell your children about the lie of Santa, it does not have to be your lie too, it is only their own belief, give your children the freedom to make up their own minds, after all who doesn't want to believe in magic,  Santa is magical. We invite Magicians into  our homes for birthday parties, why not a Santa?

I believe that a child will eventually choose to  believe  even though the world has told them their version. What child would not go to sleep at night and still get up excited for their wonders under the tree at Christmas.

 So yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus, he lives in our hearts and brings to life the magic we store there.


1 comment:

  1. There is nothing wrong with a child believing the magic of Christmas…..who among us didn’t believe at one point or another? Wasn’t it wonderful to image how Santa would arrive, and what special treats he might leave? I don’t remember it being all about gifts….Santa was the surprise in the morning but the day was filled with family and fun time we spend so little of together……did I resent my parents for lying to me?…no instead I cherished that magical feeling and set about creating the same experience for my own children….why should we steal away such a magical and wondrous time in life? I say let the children believe…..they grow up far too fast in our society allow them this last moment of innocence…..

    ReplyDelete